I will never forget the first time I saw a Coastal Redwood tree. I have a vivid memory of straining my neck just to get a glimpse of the incredible tree tops. To truly understand how magnificent these trees are, you have to experience them in person. When visiting San Francisco, the best way to see the Coastal Redwoods is by booking one of the many tours to Muir Woods.
But with so many tours to choose from, determining which tour is right for your vacation can be difficult. Before visiting San Francisco, make sure you know which Muir Woods tour best fits your travel plans.
Muir Woods and Sonoma Wine & Beer Tour
What pairs well with a trip to Muir Woods? A glass of wine and a tall glass of beer, of course. On the Muir Woods and Sonoma Wine & Beer Tour, you’ll explore the beautiful Muir Woods National Monument after passing over the Golden Gate Bridge. After lunch at the historic Sonoma Town square, you’ll venture into Sonoma Valley Wine Country to taste some of the finest wines and flights of local beers. Sounds like a fantastic day in Northern California to me!
- Bring a government issued ID to participate in the wine/beer tastings.
- The tour is approximately 10 hours long.
- Bring spending money for the Muir Woods National Monument entrance fee (not included in tour price).
- Complimentary San Francisco hotel transportation is included.
- The tour includes 2 full flights of wine tastings and 1 flight of beer tasting.
If you’re into sightseeing, gigantic trees, and wine tastings, this is the tour for you.
Muir Woods Tour of California Coastal Redwoods
Did you know that the Redwood trees are more than 1,000 years old? You’ll learn this and more on the Muir Woods Tour of California Coastal Redwoods. This tour operates three times daily, meaning you’ll have plenty of time to see the towering trees and still explore San Francisco during the day.
For 1.5 hours, you’ll explore the Muir Woods National Monument (entrance fee included) where you’ll marvel at the trees, come across the wildlife of Northern California, and make lifelong memories.
On your way back to San Francisco, your tour bus will drive through the beautiful little seaside town of Sausalito. If you’d like, hop-off the bus and spend the rest of your day discovering the magic of this tiny city. Should you choose to explore Sausalito, you can ride the ferry to return to San Francisco.
Of all the tours to Muir Woods, this particular tour is ideal for two types of travelers: those who are on a tight sightseeing schedule and those who want to relax and take in the beauty of the Redwood trees.
- Complimentary San Francisco area hotel transportation is available with advance notice.
- The tour is 3.5 hours in length and available daily at 9:00 am, 11:00 am, and 2:00 pm.
- Ferry shuttle service from Sausalito is available for purchase through Blue and Gold Fleet.
- Food and drink are not provided during the tour or part of the tour cost.
Redwoods & Wine Country Escape
Considering tours to Muir Woods are located near the best California wineries, it should come as no surprise that there are numerous tours that combine the two experiences. After all, why wouldn’t you want to wander through the forest and have a wonderful glass of wine afterward? I know I would!
On the Redwoods & Wine Country Escape tour, you’ll spend the morning wandering through the captivating forest of gigantic Redwood trees, followed by an afternoon of wine tasting at California’s premier wineries. You’ll visit Sonoma and Napa Valley wineries and taste a wide range of blends, white, and red wines. Get ready to soak up the beautiful California weather in the forest and at the vineyard!
As part of the tour, guests have two lunch options to choose from:
- Venture out and try one of the many cafes and restaurants located in the Sonoma plaza.
- Upgrade your wine country experience to the next level with a private seated gourmet food and wine pairing experience at a local restaurant.
This tour is perfect for visitors looking to enjoy the great outdoors and the great vineyards of San Francisco.
- A gourmet food and wine upgrade is available – lunch, tasting fees, taxes and gratuity all included.
- The tour has an earlier start to beat the crowds in the park.
- 3 boutique Sonoma & Napa Wineries are included in the tour price.
- All wine tasting fees are included.
- Scenic Golden Gate bridge photo stop.
- Bring a government issued ID to enter the wineries and participate in tastings.
- Bring extra cash for the Muir Woods National Monument entrance fee.
Super Saver by Day Tour – City Tour & Redwoods Visit
There’s so much to see in San Francisco and often, visitors have so little time. The Super Saver by Day Tour – City Tour & Redwoods Visit offers the opportunity to see everything San Francisco has to offer in one day. While the other tours to Muir Woods focus on the park and wineries, this unique sightseeing tour is perfect for those who want to see it all!
Your tour begins with the city of San Francisco, where you’ll discover iconic sites such as:
- North Beach
- Palace of Fine Arts
- Union Square
- Fisherman’s Wharf
- Nob Hill
- Pacific Ocean
- Presidio National Park
Once out of the city, you’ll drive over the Golden Gate Bridge and head to Muir Woods National Monument. Guests then spend up to 1.5 hours exploring the park’s trails, wildlife, and notorious Redwood trees. Remember to bring your camera to relive the magic of the Redwoods once you’re back home!
To conclude your tour, you’ll venture to the little town of Sausalito where you have the choice to continue on the sightseeing tour or explore the town. Those who choose to wander around Sausalito will have to catch a ferry back to San Francisco later in the day.
With so much to see and experience, it should come as no surprise that this tour is approximately 7 to 9 hours long depending on traffic and the size of the group. Get ready to spend your whole day on one of the most fun-filled tours to Muir Woods!
- Tour begins daily at 9:00 am.
- Bring extra cash to purchase lunch, reserve a ferry, or shopping in Sausalito.
- Complimentary hotel transportation is available from San Francisco area hotels.
- Food and beverages are not included in the tour cost. Either bring snacks and drinks or bring cash to purchase some during the lunch break.
Other tours to Muir Woods skip over the greater San Francisco area. If you want to experience everything in a short amount of time, this is the tour for you.
Muir Woods Expedition
Are you the outdoorsy type that wants to spend as much time as possible discovering the Redwood forests? I know I am.
The Muir Woods Expedition tour allows guests to encounter all that the park has to offer, from the abundance of trails to the massive trees and ample wildlife. Of all the tours to Muir Woods, this particular opportunity provides tour-goers the greatest length of time in the park.
On top of your expedition through Muir Woods, the tour provides photo stops at the Golden Gate Bridge and the city of Sausalito. Also, if you reserve the “Muir Woods Expedition AM, Sausalito & Ferry Ticket” tour through Reserve San Francisco you receive a ferry ticket from San Francisco to Sausalito to use the next day at your leisure!
- Bring a camera, bottled water, sunglasses, and sunscreen.
- Wear sturdy walking shoes to explore Muir Woods.
- The entire tour is 4-5 hours long, with 2 hours spent at the Muir Woods National Monument.
- Complimentary San Francisco area hotel transportation is provided.
Know Which Tours to Muir Woods are Right for You?
Once you know which tours to Muir Woods you want to experience, be sure to book them with Reserve San Francisco. Spots fill up fast and you don’t want to miss seeing the massive Redwood trees!