Is the museum open on holidays?
The museum is closed only three days a year: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day. It is open on all other holidays.
Where can I park?
The Art Institute offers valet parking at the Modern Wing entrance during museum hours. Many underground lots are also only a block away.
Does the Art Institute of Chicago have wheelchairs?
Yes, wheelchairs are free and available on a first-come, first served basis
Are audio guides available?
Yes. Audio guides can be rented for $7 per person. They are compatible with t-coil hearing induction loops and free for visually impaired visitors and their escorts.
What items are not allowed in the galleries?
What if I need stuff that I have in my bag but my bag is over the allowed size?
- Art materials other than a pencil (including ink pens)
- Backpacks and backpack baby carriers
- Bags, camera bags, or purses larger than 13 x 17 x 4 inches
- Shopping bags
- Flowers or balloons
- Food or drink
- Tripods, flash attachments, video cameras, or "selfie sticks"
- Umbrellas (small umbrellas can be stowed in bags)
- Wrapped packages (gifts)
Courtesy bags are available to carry valuable items with you.Can I take pictures in the galleries?
Non-flash photography and video are permitted in all the permanent galleries. On occasion, lender restrictions prohibit photography and video in special exhibitions. We will clearly note when those restrictions apply. Otherwise, photography and video are encouraged.Are there restrictions on the type of equipment that is permitted?
Are selfie sticks permitted in the galleries?
- Equipment must not exceed the size of an SLR camera designed for personal use.
- Flash, tripods, monopods, handheld microphones, selfie sticks, and other extraneous equipment are not allowed anywhere in the museum, its gardens, or public spaces.
- All imaging documentation must be for personal, no distributional, non-commercial use only.
No, for the safety of the artwork and other patrons, selfie sticks are not allowed.Is sketching allowed in the museum?
Sketching with pencils only is allowed in all galleries including special exhibitions, provided there are no restrictions by lenders. Please consult the security officer in a gallery to confirm that sketching in that space is permitted; officers have the discretion to disallow sketching if the galleries are crowded or sketching is creating a disturbance. If a work of art is not framed or protected by a vitrine or case, sketchers are asked to remain at least five feet away from the art. Paper and pads must be no larger than 13 x 17 inches. Easels, stools, or anything that interferes with movement in the gallery is not permitted.Does a general admission ticket include access to special exhibitions?
A general admission ticket allows you to see all of the museum's non-ticketed special exhibitions. Occasionally exhibitions require an additional charge.Do I have to pay for tickets for my kids?
Admission for children under 14 is always free.